What you need to know about monkeypox in the U.S.

camonkeypox082322.jpg

In 2022, there have been 15,433 monkeypox cases in the United States, as cases have risen since early June and the disease has been detected in all 50 states. As of Aug. 22, Indiana has had 107 cases, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  

Globally, the CDC has reported 42,954 cases, with the U.S. accounting for the most cases. Spain has the second most cases at 6,119, less than half the amount of the U.S.  No deaths from monkeypox have yet been reported in the U.S. 

The main symptom of monkeypox is a rash resembling pimples or blisters which may be painful and itchy, according to the CDC. Other symptoms include fever, chills, swollen lymph nodes, exhaustion, muscle aches, headaches, sore throat, nasal congestion, and coughing. Symptoms other than the rash may appear before or after you notice the rash, or not at all.

[Related: COVID cases rise in the U.S. due to BA.5 variant of Omicron]

Those who are gay, bisexual and men who have sex with other men compromise most cases, according to the CDC, but they also stressed the fact that anyone regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity can become infected if they come into close contact with someone with the disease.  

Monkeypox spreads through close contact with the rash, scabs, or body fluids of someone else with the disease. Close contact includes activities such as anal, oral, and vaginal sex, as well as hugging, kissing, prolonged face- to- face contact and by touching fabrics used during sex by someone with monkeypox, according to the CDC.

[Related: Indiana Youth Survey shows lowest results in teen substance use in 30 years]

Two vaccines, Jynneos and Acam2000 are already available to create immunity against monkeypox. The CDC recommends people who have encountered someone with the disease, has had a sexual partner with monkeypox within the last two weeks and anyone that lives in an area with known monkeypox cases who have had multiple sexual partners in the last two weeks to seek vaccination.  

Patients can speak with their healthcare providers about getting vaccinated against monkeypox.