sports women's soccer

Three Hoosiers named to Big Ten Women’s Soccer Watch List

spiuwsaward081622.jpg

The Big Ten announced Monday its women’s soccer watch list as well as the annual preseason poll. 

Indiana women’s soccer players sophomore goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg, sophomore forward Jordyn Levy and freshman defender Arianna Rose were recognized. All 14 conference teams had three players each selected to the watch list.

Gerstenberg was a preseason player to watch last season and did not disappoint, tying the Indiana program record with nine shutouts in her rookie campaign. The German keeper started in 16 games and won nine. Her .818 save percentage with a goals against average of just 0.49, earned her a spot on the 2021 Big Ten All-Freshman Team.

Levy scored four times as a freshman and led Indiana with three game-winners last season. In addition to her four goals — tied for second most on the team — she added two assists to finish with 10 points. Levy finished tied for fourth in assists and third in points for the Hoosiers.

Rose is a new face on the roster and comes with plenty of experience. Previously, she played three seasons with the Canadian youth program and competed for Ontario’s National Development Center. During media day on August 4, head coach Erwin van Bennekom said she will be fighting for a spot in the starting 11.

The league also released the preseason poll, which saw Indiana placing tenth out of the fourteen teams. Last year, Indiana finished ninth in the conference, just missing out on a spot in the Big Ten Women’s Soccer Tournament.

Indiana kicks off its regular season this week on the road at West Virginia University at 7 p.m. in Morgantown, West Virginia on Thursday.