sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer opens season with 0-0 draw against West Virginia

spiuwsrecap081822.jpg

The Indiana women’s soccer team opened its regular season against West Virginia University on Thursday in Morgantown, Virginia. The Hoosiers and Mountaineers drew a 0-0 tie in the first ever matchup between the two programs.  

West Virginia dominated the offensive side of the ball with 12 shots to Indiana’s three, but Indiana sophomore goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg recorded four impressive saves in the shutout to help the Hoosiers avoid a loss.  

The Mountaineers’ first close look at a goal came in the 19th minute on a free kick by fifth-year senior Jordan Brewster. Brewster connected with West Virginia senior Julianne Vallerand for a header that landed directly in the hands of Gerstenberg.  

West Virginia had another opportunity to take the lead with under 15 minutes remaining in the game after a turnover led to a two-on-one break. Hoosier senior forward Paige Webber was stripped of the ball within the 18-yard box, but Gerstenberg was there for another crucial save. 

Indiana’s attempts to score were far less in quality and quantity than West Virginia’s. The Hoosiers' only shot on goal came from Webber, against which Mountaineer senior goalkeeper Kayza Massey recorded her only save of the night.  

The Hoosiers also saw shots from junior forward Anna Bennett and freshman defender Arianna Rose. Rose was named to the Big Ten women’s soccer watchlist — a list that also includes teammates Gerstenberg and sophomore forward Jordyn Levy — earlier in the week.  

Indiana was handed 15 fouls and West Virginia six. Each team received two yellow cards, the Hoosiers’ coming from Rose and freshman midfielder Izzy Smith.  

Indiana’s first outing against West Virginia was successful in a few different facets, despite not recording a win. Gerstenberg earned her 10th career clean sheet, placing her seventh on the Indiana all-time solo shutout list with just over one season of experience.  

The Hoosiers also went head-to-head with a team that had competed in the NCAA Tournament 21 consecutive times before the 2021 season. The Mountaineers were slated to finish third in the Big 12 preseason poll, while the Hoosiers were picked to finish 10th in the Big Ten. 

Indiana returns to the field against Virginia Tech University on Sunday in Blacksburg Virginia. The game will be broadcast on ACC Network, and first kick is scheduled for noon.