crime & courts

Man tased by security guard at Seminary Square Kroger on Sunday

Crime Filler

Many Bloomington residents saw a video circulated on Sunday of a man being tased outside of the floral department at their local Kroger. The video, only around a minute and a half long, received hundreds of views and left many concerned.

The man, Frazier Hillsman of Bloomington, was tased and charged with a misdemeanor summons for criminal trespassing on Sunday at the Kroger on 528 S. College Ave. after he was asked to leave the store.

The Bloomington Police Department said Hillsman attempted to purchase items he had already opened inside the Kroger early Sunday afternoon, but he didn’t have money to pay for them. The police said he was later asked to leave the store and refused.

The man was directed toward the exit by a security guard, whose name has not been released and who was an off-duty officer from the Loogootee Police Department. The guard said Hillsman tried to hit him and was causing a disturbance.

These events were filmed by a bystander and published on social media. The video shows Hillsman talking to the security guard before being tased twice, falling back and hitting the ground. The video does not capture the entire altercation.

After, Hillsman was taken to the hospital by an ambulance upon his request and received a misdemeanor summons. It is unknown if Hillsman sustained any injuries. The guard was not charged with any crime.