sports baseball

Three Hoosier pitchers selected in 2022 MLB Draft

spiubasebrief072022

Three former Indiana baseball players were drafted in the Major League Baseball draft, which took place from Sunday to Tuesday. Jack Perkins was selected in the fifth round by the Oakland Athletics and Bradley Brehmer and Reese Sharp in the 12th and 20th rounds, respectively, by the Baltimore Orioles. All three are right-handed pitchers.

Perkins was selected as the 154th overall pick and the sixth pick by the Athletics. He ended the season as the No. 1 pitcher in Indiana’s rotation and led the team with 83 innings pitched, 91 strikeouts and a 5.10 ERA. Perkins spent three seasons at the University of Louisville before transferring to Indiana in 2022.

Brehmer was taken as the 347th overall pick and the first selection in the 12th round. He appeared in 49 games, with 43 starts during his collegiate career at Wright State University and Indiana. Brehmer earned a 5-4 record with the Hoosiers and was named to the 2022 Big Ten All-Tournament Team after tossing a complete game in Indiana’s win against Illinois. 

Sharp will join Brehmer in Baltimore after being drafted 587th overall. He recorded three wins and four saves as part of Indiana’s bullpen with one start on the mound. Sharp posted 90 strikeouts, 66 innings pitched and a 5.86 ERA in his two-year collegiate career.