sports softball

Indiana softball set to face Nebraska in final regular season series

spiusbpreview050522-jpg.jpg

After going 1-2 against Illinois in its final home series from April 29 to May 1 at Andy Mohr Field, Indiana softball will play its final series of the regular season at Nebraska this weekend.

Indiana is 26-19 overall this spring and 9-11 in Big Ten play. The Hoosiers remained inconsistent at the plate and in the circle against the Illini, but ended the series on a high note. Senior designated player Brittany Ford hit a double for a walkoff win in the series finale to wrap up her career at home.

Last year, Indiana and Nebraska split the series 1-1 at the Sleepy Hollow Sports Complex in Leesburg, Florida. The Cornhuskers lead the all-time series 9-8.

Nebraska is 35-13 overall with a 15-4 record in Big Ten play. In their previous three weekend series, the Cornhuskers swept Minnesota at home and went 1-2 on the road against both Wisconsin and Ohio State. Coming into this series against the Hoosiers, they’ve lost just one home game this season, a 16-4 defeat against South Dakota State University on March 4. 

Indiana sophomore right fielder Cora Bassett has the highest batting average of all Hoosiers with a .408 mark. Bassett also ranks first in on-base slugging percentage with a 1.321 average while leading the team in the home run category with 13. 

Indiana freshman pitcher Heather Joh, who is expected to pitch over the weekend, has a 4.11 earned run average, 9-6 win-loss record and 79 strikeouts in 129.2 innings pitched this season.

Junior first baseman Mya Felder leads the Cornhuskers in the batting average category with a .405 mark this season. Senior shortstop Billie Andrews has the highest OPS for Nebraska this season with a 1.176 average. 

Senior Olivia Ferrell is the team’s ace in the pitching rotation. Ferrell has a 2.17 ERA, 18-6 win-loss record and 146 strikeouts in 146 innings pitched this season.

The series opener of Indiana’s last regular season series will start at 6:30 p.m. Friday. First pitch for the second game will be at 5 p.m. Saturday, and the final game will begin at 1 p.m. Sunday. All three games will be played at Bowlin Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska, and will be broadcast on Big Ten Network+.