sports baseball

Indiana baseball faces No. 10 Maryland in first round of Big Ten Tournament

spiubasepreview052422.jpg

After a 25-30 regular season, Indiana has earned a spot in the 2022 Big Ten Tournament. The Hoosiers finished the season with a 10-14 record against conference opponents, placing them as the 8-seed in the tournament. Indiana will face Maryland in the first round on May 26. 

Earlier in the season, the Hoosiers’ conference tournament hopes seemed bleak. However, they won four straight conference series spanning from April 22 to May 15 to secure a trip to Omaha, Nebraska. This is the first time that Indiana will play in the Big Ten Tournament since 2019, as COVID-19 cancellations halted both the 2020 and 2021 tournaments. 

Indiana will face off against No. 1-seeded Maryland, who comes into the tournament with a 44-10 record. The Terrapins earned their first ever regular season Big Ten championship title after notching an 18-5 conference record this season, and they are currently ranked No. 10 in the country. Maryland finished their season on a seven game winning streak and has not lost a conference game since May 8. 

This game will be the first time that the two teams have met in almost a year. The last meeting between the Hoosiers and Terrapins was on May 30, 2021, and Maryland secured two out of three games in the series.

The first pitch will be at approximately 6 p.m. ET on May 26 on Big Ten Network due to anticipated inclement weather near Omaha on Wednesday night. The tournament is double-elimination style, and Indiana will face off against either Illinois or Michigan on Friday night depending on the outcome of the first-round matchups.

CORRECTION: This story has been corrected to reflect a change in the scheduled start time for Indiana's first round game.