COLUMN: 5 movies to get you through the post-grad blues

entmoviessongs042722-illo

Graduation can be both an exciting and terrifying time. Many of us are preparing to say goodbye to our beloved college years and embark on our next chapter in life. Commencement is a huge milestone in any student’s life, and this time calls for exceptionally big changes. 

But before you worry too much about the year ahead, take some time to watch these classic films set around graduation.

“Legally Blonde” (2001)

Reese Witherspoon plays the iconic character Elle Woods who sets out to prove her ex-boyfriend wrong by working her way into Harvard Law School. With endlessly quotable moments and lots (and lots) of pink, the film’s motivational message will resonate with graduating students: they can recognize everything they are capable of.

“St. Elmo's Fire” (1985)

This coming-of-age film focuses on a clique of recent Georgetown University graduates. It features a star-studded cast of the Brat Pack, the nickname given to the group of young actors including Demi Moore, Rob Lowe and Emilio Estevez, who starred in the biggest teen-oriented movies of the 80s. Together, they learn to navigate adulthood and the real world. 

“The Devil Wears Prada” (2005)

A common job for recent college graduates is working as an assistant or intern. Anne Hathaway plays Andy, a writer aiming to succeed in the publication world. While not every boss will compare to that of Meryl Streep’s Miranda Priestly, Andy’s determination may resonate with recent graduates trying to get their foot in the door.

“The Graduate” (1967)

“The Graduate” may be most famous for the relationship that unfolds between recent college graduate Benjamin Braddock and Mrs. Robinson, the married friend of Braddock’s parents. Played by Dustin Hoffman, Ben’s post-grad anxiety throughout the film is something that rings just as true today. 

“Tiny Furniture” (2010)

Written, directed by and starring Lena Dunham, this indie movie is about a recent college graduate who moves back home to live with her mother and teenage sister while she figures out what to do with her life. Dunham’s feature film is a painstakingly honest picture of a young person at a crossroads.