Maurer School of Law dean Austen Parrish to step down, become dean at UC Irvine

camaurer041122.jpg

Austen Parrish, Dean of the Maurer School of Law, announced he will step down from his position in early July, according to an April 7 press release. Parrish joined the school in January of 2014 and served as dean for over 8 years.

During his time as dean, Parrish led the completion of a $60 million capital campaign, launched several new clinics and public interest programs, and expanded the school's interdisciplinary degree programs, according to the release. 

In collaboration with the school’s admissions office, Parrish created recruiting partnerships with over 24 colleges and universities, including women’s colleges, HBCUs, Hispanic-serving institutions and engineering schools to incentivise a more diverse student body.

Outside of his administrative duties, Parrish published in leading law journals and continued to teach a variety of different courses. He usually taught every year during his time as Dean and was deeply involved in legal education on a national level. Parrish taught seminars in the Well’s Scholars program three times and was named a Wells Scholars Professor twice.

Related: [IU Kelley School of Business Dean Idalene Kesner to step down, return to teaching]

Parrish’s last day at the Law School will be in early July. He will begin his new role as the Dean of the School of Law at University of California, Irvine, on August 3rd.

Indiana Provost and Executive Vice President, Rahul Shrivastav said an interim dean will be appointed while the university searches for a permanent replacement.