arts music

‘Live From Bloomington’ accepting local artists’ original music until April 15

entlfb041322 copy.jpg

In operation since 1986, ‘Live From Bloomington’ is an annual collaborative album created to celebrate the Bloomington music community. Due to other projects and the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2022 edition will be the first album since 2016. 

‘Live From Bloomington’ is accepting submissions until April 15. Any original work by anyone in the Bloomington area may be submitted to LFB’s email. The genres range from rock to rap and everything in between, a previous album even had a jazz quartet. There are usually between 30-40 submissions, and 12-15 are put on the album. 

In previous years, proceeds from the album went to Hoosier Hills Food Bank, and LFB is hoping to partner with them again. 

“Not only do we want to uplift those musicians and showcase the amazing music of Bloomington, but we also want to help support Bloomington so we can keep that music scene going,” Maggie Ison, director of Live From Bloomington and IU sophomore, said. 

Ison said being the director of LFB feels natural to her since she has always played different instruments and been interested in music scenes. 

“The quality of the songs is just incredible, and they’re all so different but in such amazing and incredible ways,” she said.

LFB committee member and IU sophomore Grace Julian said she enjoys being involved with music without having to be a musician. She said she likes helping give musicians a platform. 

"It's been really interesting to hear local music and how good it can be,” Julian said. “Because with COVID and everything, I wasn't really exposed to any of that in Bloomington, and it's always been something I've been interested in."

Julian said COVID-19 prohibited her from being able to experience the music scene in Bloomington. Julian said she’s always wanted to get closer to the local music, and now she can hear the music while helping put together the album. 

In the past, the album has been made available on CDs and vinyl records. LFB is planning to produce the upcoming album on vinyl and hoping to make it available on streaming platforms. The album will be sold this fall at Union Board events and the LFB release concert. The album will cost $5 — or $3 with two nonperishable food items donated to Hoosier Hills Food Bank.