sports little 500

What happens if weather delays the Little 500 races

spiulittle500weather041722.jpg

With forecasts of sunny skies and temperatures in the high 70s to 80s, inclement weather should not be an issue for either of the Little 500 races over the weekend. But, in the event that the races on either Friday or Saturday have to be delayed, the IU Student Foundation has issued a potential agenda. 

If the women’s race on Friday were to be rained out, the schedule would shift to a 10 a.m. start Saturday for the women’s race and 2 p.m. start the same day for the men’s race. If the men’s race on Saturday needs to be postponed instead, the women’s race would be moved to 10 a.m. on Sunday if necessary, and the men would race at 2 p.m. Sunday. 

While light rain could occur, the agenda lays out specifically what needs to happen for delays or postponement. 

“We will run the event unless there is a downpour, thunder, or lightning,” according to the IUSF. “We will delay before postponing.”

History is favorable in terms of race day conditions, as the only postponement in recent years came in 2015 when the men’s race was pushed back until Sunday. If the current forecasts are any indication, the 2022 Little 500 races should proceed as scheduled. 

If weather or any other circumstance forces a postponement past Sunday, Little 500 Race Director Hank Duncan said the IUSF has contingency plans in place, but they are dependent on the situation.