sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer announces 2022 fall schedule, will play 10 of 18 matches at home

spiuwsschedule042822.jpg

Indiana women’s soccer announced its schedule for the 2022 fall season in a release Thursday. The Hoosiers will play an 18-match regular season schedule, with two preseason home matches against Miami University and Northwestern on Aug. 6 and 13, respectively.

The Hoosiers’ regular season schedule will kick off with a two-match road trip against West Virginia University and Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. They will return to Bill Armstrong Stadium directly after for their home opener against Ball State University on Aug. 25.

Three of the eight nonconference matchups Indiana will play will take place away from Bloomington.

Rematches from last season’s away matches against the University of Notre Dame and University of Memphis, both of which qualified for the 2021 NCAA Tournament, will be held on the Hoosiers’ home field this time around. Last season, the Hoosiers drew 0-0 with the Fighting Irish and suffered a 1-0 defeat to the Tigers.

Big Ten play will consist of 10 matches, with an even split between home and away contests.

Indiana’s conference opener will come against Penn State on Sept. 18 in Bloomington. Other notable Big Ten opponents include Minnesota, Wisconsin and Nebraska, all of which weren’t on the Hoosiers’ schedule last season. The in-state rivalry match against Purdue will take place on Oct. 16 at Jerry Yeagley Field.

The cream and crimson are coming off their best season since 2013 with a 9-5-4 record, but will look to build off that success and make their first NCAA Tournament since then. Head coach Erwin van Bennekom’s squad will feature plenty of new faces after losing a key portion of its veteran presence over the offseason due to eligibility running out for upperclassmen and transfer portal moves.