arts community events music

Full Bloom Festival to showcase music, artistic community April 22

entfullbloom041422.jpg

Pinthouse will present Full Bloom Festival, a free, independent festival, from noon to 11:30 p.m. on April 22 near 11th Street and North College Avenue. Pinthouse will release the address closer to the day of the event. There will be intermissions for the Women’s Little 500 race from 3:30-6 p.m.

Pinthouse is home to IU senior Trinity Travis, who said most of the house’s residents study business with different creative pursuits. After three years and a few house shows, the roommates decided to have a music festival. 

“We spent a lot of time going to house shows and then eventually, once we had our own place that we were able to host music like that, we started to get people on board,” Travis said.

There will be music playing in the house’s garage and backyard throughout the day. The festival will feature rock music, including indie rock, alternative rock, classic rock and indie music.

Related: [Music Industry Creatives to celebrate Bloomington artists at Burning Couch Festival]

Bloomington bands including THiN LiNES, Lounge, ForeDaze, SYZYGY, Too Many Cooks, The Matriarch, Indifferent Society, Holumb, LYSERGiC, Ghost Beef and more will perform. 

Travis said working together to plan the festival has been a collaborative effort with everyone involved. 

Anna Campbell, Pinthouse roommate and IU senior, said there will also be an art swap throughout the day. People can bring an art piece they have made or collected and leave it on their front porch for a ticket to exchange for another piece of artwork. 

Jordan Nouri, band member of Holumb and IU sophomore, said it feels special to be a part of Bloomington’s energetic music scene because the band only focused on recording while in Evansville.

Johnny Bortka, guitarist for LYSERGiC, said he was introduced to the Bloomington house show scene after one of the band’s shows. He said he knew he had to get involved with the Full Bloom Festival after getting a degree in event management. 

“It might start something,” Bortka said. “People are going to realize we don’t have to wait for some big event to come around, we can just make one of our own.”

Bortka said the festival is being put together without help from institutions like IU or the city of Bloomington. He said the festival will be a culmination of the Bloomington house show scene. 

“Bloomington is kind of like a cultural oasis compared to other towns in Indiana,” Bortka said. “There's something really unique about playing in Bloomington compared to any other town.”