arts performances music

The African American Dance Company presents Annual Dance Workshop: ‘Black to the Future’

entaadancecompany030222-jpg copy.jpg

IU's African American Dance Company will present its 24th Annual Dance Workshop March 4-5. 

The Annual Dance Workshop is directed by professor of practice Baba Stafford C. Berry Jr. and exposes participants to dance from the African American and African Diaspora perspectives through performances, master classes and panel discussions.

The theme this year is “Black to the Future: New Torchbearers Continuing Legacies.” The workshop will include dance classes exploring hip-hop freestyle, West African, Tai-chi, Pan African and contemporary modern dance. 

This year’s workshop features a faculty of twelve distinguished dance artists, scholars, performers, educators and percussionists. 

All participants must register and pay for in person and virtual classes. Classes and events will be offered both in person and virtually.

The Artist Panel Discussion will be on March 4 at 3-4:30 p.m. and the 24th Annual Dance Workshop Showcase will be on March 5 at 5-7:30 p.m.  Both events are free and open to the public. 

No previous dance experience is required to participate. Anyone over the age of 12 is welcome. 

Attendees of the in-person classes must provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test taken within 48 hours of registration check-in, wear a mask indoors and adhere to IU’s COVID-19 protocols