arts performances music

Ladies First A Cappella set to perform final show of semester

entladiesfirstspring032922.jpg

Indiana University’s Ladies First A Cappella group will perform its spring show at 8 p.m. Friday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Tickets for the show can be found on the group’s website. Tickets are $5 for students and $10 for non-students. 

Doors will open at 7 p.m. for general admission. The theater strongly encourages masks. Proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test result taken within 48 hours prior to the event is required, according to the Buskirk-Chumley Theater’s website. 

The show marks the group’s 23rd anniversary. It will also be their first time being back in person at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. The concert will be a mix of pop, folk, rock, classics and alternative music. It will be a two-act performance with an intermission between. 

“This spring show has more meaning because the seniors obviously missed a lot of in-person shows in that time frame,” freshman Leah Mani said.

Ladies First will be performing 10 new pieces they have learned over the semester, which includes, “God is a Woman,” “When She Loved Me,” and “Rather Be”.

The student-led group’s practices have increased to properly prepare for the upcoming show. The week leading up to the show can be referred to as “hell week,” according to Mani, as rehearsals become more frequent and more intense. 

Related: [Cardinal Stage to present ‘Ada and the Engine’ starting Thursday]

Senior and music director Maria Krause is looking forward to showing off the effort they have put in for the show. 

“It’s a great way to show off what we put so much hard work into each week, and especially fantastic to showcase our seniors,” Krause said in an email.

Not only will this be their last show of the school year, it will also celebrate the seniors of the group. Each senior will follow tradition and perform a solo. Their final group song, “Ladies First,” will be in honor of past members, which is sung at each spring show the group performs.

“Having my last Ladies First show is definitely bittersweet,” Krause said. “It truly is a beautiful family I have been lucky enough to be a part of and am so grateful to have performed with.”