Indiana women's tennis to begin Big Ten play against Michigan

<p>Sophomore Laura Masic returns a serve against Marquette University on Feb. 6, 2022, at the IU Tennis Center. Indiana will play Michigan at noon on March 12 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. </p>

Sophomore Laura Masic returns a serve against Marquette University on Feb. 6, 2022, at the IU Tennis Center. Indiana will play Michigan at noon on March 12 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Indiana women's tennis kicks off its Big Ten season this weekend, traveling to Ann Arbor, Michigan, to face both Michigan and Michigan State. 

The Hoosiers’ current record stands at 7-5 after splitting a doubleheader last weekend against the University of Cincinnati and Eastern Illinois University. 

All three teams come into the weekend with records above .500. Michigan is 5-4 on the season and Michigan State holds an 8-2 record. These games also mark the first Big Ten matchups for both teams this season. 

Due to the shortened COVID-19 season last year, Indiana only played Big Ten opponents and played both Michigan and Michigan State in the same weekend in Bloomington. Indiana lost to Michigan 6-1 and secured a 4-3 win over Michigan State the following day. 

The win over the Spartans was the only win the Hoosiers recorded all season as they finished with a 1-16 record. The Hoosiers faced off against the Spartans again later in the year, but they lost 5-2. 

Both of Indiana’s opponents enter the weekend ranked by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, with Michigan at No. 32 and Michigan State at No. 55. Indiana’s first game will begin at noon Saturday against Michigan.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.