Indiana softball looks to build on win streak at Bluegrass Challenge

<p>Graduate student, Grayson Radcliffe, attempts to steal second base against Western Illinois on March 5, 2022. IU will face Central Michigan at 10:30 a.m. Friday in Louisville, Kentucky. </p>

Graduate student, Grayson Radcliffe, attempts to steal second base against Western Illinois on March 5, 2022. IU will face Central Michigan at 10:30 a.m. Friday in Louisville, Kentucky.

Indiana softball will compete in the Bluegrass Challenge in Louisville, Kentucky, this weekend. Indiana will face Central Michigan University, Ohio University, the University of Louisville and Eastern Kentucky University.

The Hoosiers are currently riding a hot streak into the tournament, winning their past five contests dating back to a 6-0 victory of Hofstra University in the Unconquered Invitational. They also swept four games against Western Illinois University and Valparaiso University in the Hoosier classic last weekend.

With the wins, Indiana has achieved multiple awards. Freshman pitcher and first baseman Brianna Copeland was recently announced as co-Big Ten Freshman of the Week after a tremendous outing both on the mound and at the plate last weekend. Indiana is also currently leading the NCAA in steals per game with an average of 3.15.

“We knew she’d be a great two-way player,” Indiana coach Shonda Stanton said about Copeland’s weekend. “To have a pitcher who is that much of an athlete is really paying dividends here.” 

Indiana will play two games Friday and two more on Sunday. Its first contest of the weekend will be at 9:30 a.m. Friday against Central Michigan. 

The Chippewas come in with a 9-6 record and will provide an early challenge for the Hoosiers. The Hoosiers wrap up their Friday at 12:30 p.m. against Ohio. 

Indiana’s weekend will resume Sunday starting with a rematch with Louisville at 11 a.m. Louisville beat Indiana 9-5 in the season opener on Feb. 11. Indiana’s final game of the weekend will be against Eastern Kentucky (3-15) at 1:30 p.m. Sunday.

Stanton said the Hoosiers will be looking for more offensive production this weekend. 

“We’re gonna watch some film and talk hitters counts, I want more barrel,” Stanton said. “We could’ve really extended games this weekend. I want more offense.”

The starting point for offense thus far has been junior utility player Cora Bassett. Bassett put on a hitting clinic in the Hoosier Classic, batting .750 with two home runs, six RBIs and three stolen bases. If the rest of the Hoosiers have similar offensive breakthroughs, it could mean trouble for their opponents.

Indiana’s contest against Louisville will be available to watch on ACCNX. Its other three contests will have broadcasts available through HoosiersTV.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.