sports baseball

Indiana baseball looks to feed off of home win in weekend series against Missouri

spiubasepreview030422.jpg

Coming off a season-high offensive performance and its first home win in just under two years, Indiana baseball will travel to the state of Missouri for a three-game series against Missouri State University. The series is Indiana’s third series of the year, and the team is still looking for its first away win of the season. 

Indiana won its last game, a home opener against Miami University on Tuesday. Now Indiana looks to improve its 2-5 record as well as trying to secure its first series win of the regular season. 

The Hoosiers have not been able to secure two wins in either of their past series this season, and they have started off the year winless when visiting other teams' ballparks. Indiana lost all three games against Clemson University and lost two of three in the neutral Karbach Round Rock Classic

Missouri State is coming off of a 12-3 win over the University of Kansas, which improved its record to 4-4 on the year. Missouri State is also looking for its first series win of the season. The series against Indiana marks the first time that the two programs have met on the diamond. 

Indiana announced its weekend starters Thursday. Juniors John-Biagio Modugno and Jack Perkins will start the first two games of the series. Modugno will take the start on Friday, followed by Perkins on Saturday. On the third day of the weekend trip, senior Bradley Brehmer will take the hill for the Hoosiers. 

Both Modugno and Perkins will get their third starts of the season. They both previously started in the series against Clemson and in the Karbach Round Rock Classic. Brehmer will make his first start of the 2022 season, but he has three in-game appearances this season. 

High offensive production could be something of note in this series, as both teams scored 10 or more runs in their last game, and both teams had multiple home runs in their most recent game. Indiana batted in five home runs in its win over Miami University while Missouri State hit seven home runs in its last win. 

Alongside the home runs, both teams have combined for 24 hits in their most recent games.

First pitch is at 4 p.m. Friday at Hammons Field in Springfield, Missouri. The first two games will be broadcasted on ESPN+, and Sunday’s game will be available on local radio.