sports wrestling

Indiana wrestling loses to Chattanooga in final meet of the regular season

spiuwrrecap022022.jpg

Indiana wrestling lost its final match of the regular season on Sunday to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga by a score of 21-15. 

The Hoosiers started the day off with sophomore Jacob Moran competing in the 125-pound class. Moran defeated No. 22-ranked Chattanooga senior Fabian Gutierrez by a 6-5 regular decision. No. 11-ranked Indiana graduate student Brock Hudkins followed Moran’s victory with a win in the 133-pound match. Those positive results against the only ranked wrestlers from Chattanooga gave the Hoosiers an early 6-0 lead.

No. 32-ranked Indiana junior Cayden Rooks lost to Chattanooga junior Franco Valdes in a 3-1 decision in the 141-pound match, putting Chattanooga on the board 6-3. 

After a failed challenge attempt by Indiana head coach Angel Escobedo on a Chattanooga takedown, Chattanooga freshman Noah Castillo ultimately defeated Indiana junior Graham Rooks in the 149-pound match by a 6-5 regular decision. Castillo’s win allowed Chattanooga to tie the match at 6-6.

Looking to retake the lead, Indiana sophomore Derek Gilcher held a 2-0 lead over Chattanooga junior Drew Nicholson for two periods. However, during the third period, Gilcher gave up the lead and ultimately lost the match 3-2 in the final five seconds. Going into halftime, Chattanooga held a 9-6 advantage.

At the start of the second half, Chattanooga junior Drew Nicholson defeated Indiana junior Kasper McIntosh in a 7-4 regular decision in the 165-pound match.

Indiana sophomore Isiah Levitz made his dual-meet debut in replacement of junior Nick South in the 174-pound class. Chattanooga sophomore Carial Tarter pinned Levitz in the third period to take a commanding 18-6 lead.

No. 17-ranked Indiana junior DJ Washington made his first appearance on the mat for the 184-pound class since his 7-3 regular decision victory on Jan. 29 against then-No. 25-ranked Purdue senior Max Lyon. 

Washington had a dominant start against Chattanooga sophomore Thomas Sell, immediately getting a two-point takedown to start the bout. Washington defeated Sell in a 20-8 major decision and ended Chattanooga’s five-win streak during the meet to cut Indiana’s deficit to 18–10. 

The fate of Sunday’s meet would be decided during the 197-pound match. Indiana junior Nick Willham lost the gritty match to Chattanooga junior Matthew Waddell in a 3-2 decision. Chattanooga took a 21-10 lead going into the final match of the afternoon.

Indiana wrapped up the day with junior Jacob Bullock representing the heavyweight class. Bullock defeated Chattanooga freshman Matthias Ervin by a 18-0 technical fall to wrap up Indiana’s regular season. 

Indiana will head to the Big Ten Championships on March 5-6 in Lincoln, Nebraska.