sports softball

Indiana softball to face off with No. 3 Florida State, Hofstra in Unconquered Invitational

spiusbpreview022422.jpg

Indiana softball has five matchups this weekend, with three games against Hofstra University and two against No. 3 Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida, at the Unconquered Invitational. Indiana enters the weekend with a 2-2 record.

Indiana’s weekend starts at noon on Friday facing Hofstra first. Its second game of the day will be at 5 p.m. against FSU. Saturday features a double header beginning against Hofstra at 11 a.m. and FSU at 1:30 p.m.

Sunday features a standalone game at 9 a.m. against Hofstra to conclude the Unconquered Invitational. Indiana and FSU have met ten times previously, with FSU leading the all-time series 9-1. Hofstra leads the all-time series 2-1, and Indiana has a chance to take the lead in the series after this weekend.

The last time Indiana met either team was in the 2009 season. It suffered a 7-0 defeat to FSU in the Seminole Invitational in Tallahassee, and later defeated Hofstra 6-4 as part of the USF Under Armour Showcase in Clearwater, Florida.

Indiana’s team is struggling to find an identity after the first weekend of the season, but there is still optimism among the group. Strong showings such as the 11-1 victory over Florida Atlantic suggest success in all aspects. However, its 14-3 loss to Northern Illinois due to poor pitching and little hitting ability contradicts its earlier performance.

Consistency will be necessary for an opponent such as Florida State. Sitting at No. 3 in the latest ESPN/USA Softball poll, the Seminoles are the highest ranked opponent the Hoosiers have faced since their May 13, 2016, matchup with then-No. 2 Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament. Indiana lost 10-0 in five innings.

“Both of these programs have rich histories and know how to win,” Indiana head coach Shonda Stanton said. “We have to be the ones to adjust the best, figure out the right lineups and pitch for contact outs to have the best chance of winning.”

Both of Indiana’s matchups with FSU will be available on ACCNX.