Indiana football hires Craig Johnson as new running backs coach, associate head coach

spiufbjohnson021422.jpg

Indiana football has hired Craig Johnson as its new running backs coach and associate head coach, according to an IU Athletics press release. Johnson will replace Deland McCullough, who left to become running backs coach at the University of Notre Dame

"Craig is the total package,” head coach Tom Allen said in the release. “His experience and character fit our culture perfectly and will benefit greatly the young men in our program."

Johnson has been both a running backs coach and a quarterbacks coach during his time in the NFL, most recently coaching running backs for the New York Giants from 2014 to 2019. Prior to that, he was the quarterbacks coach for the Minnesota Vikings from 2011 to 2013.

He coached five NFL All-Pros, including Giants running back Saquon Barkley, who won NFL Rookie of the Year under Johnson.

Related: [Indiana running backs coach Deland McCullough hired for same role at Notre Dame]

In addition to his NFL experience, Johnson held coaching jobs at Northwestern, Rutgers, the University of Arkansas and the United States Military Academy.

"I plan to bring a wealth of knowledge both on and off the field,” Johnson said in the release. “It has been a blessing to have worked with some of the best football athletes at the collegiate and professional levels, and we are looking forward to great success at IU. Go Hoosiers!"