Black Voices perspectives

Ask Black Voices: How can I best manage my time during the pandemic?

bvaskbv2021722

Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have all needed to find ways to keep ourselves occupied. Our usual routines and schedules have been pulled from underneath our feet. We have all been tasked with finding new ways to manage our time, and time is all we have.

For college students, time management is an important thing. Adjusting and learning how to adequately incorporate classwork, friends, family, work and building a life of our own into our new normal is tough. It can be overwhelming trying to do everything within the five-day school week. But one thing you must remember: take it slow. 

“I just take it day by day,” SZA said in her song Broken Clocks

When figuring out how to manage your time during this world crisis, prioritize your life. Planning and making lists of things important for your wellbeing is a great start. Think about things in three different categories: what I need to do, what I want to do, and what I will do. List aspects of your life within these categories, and then build a routine. 

Shape the routine with time to do each of the things listed—not every day, but consistently. Consistency is key when figuring out time management. Stay on track and try not to stray away from the routine. 

For instance, on Monday, you may carve out time to do a workout, eat a healthy meal, clean your room, do homework, go to class, go to work and then end your day. Tuesday, you repeat the workout and healthy meal, but don’t clean your room. Instead, you use the cleaning interval to take a nap to recharge and then do some homework. 

This is just an example, of course—you’d have to consider your own schedule along with what works best for you. 

Personally, having a routine allows me to do everything I need and want in a given day. It can be stressful trying to stick with a routine. If you want something, you’ll do it to the best of your ability. 

Structure makes life a lot easier. The Blissful Mind, a blog from the mindset coach Catherine Beard, attributes feelings of being unmotivated and distracted to lack of structure. Beard said structure is necessary for operating in a sense of stability and balance.

Although being a college student comes with making sacrifices of what we love to do, it is important to take a break, recharge and do things to make you happy. Don’t overload yourself with school, or you’ll burn out fast. Spread your tasks throughout the week and, just like SZA said, take it day by day.