IU spring semester will be in person as scheduled

IU announced the 2022 spring semester will be held in person in an email on Tuesday. The first day of classes is Jan. 10. 

Students are still expected to be masked while indoors, however the university is encouraging people to wear the best mask possible, according to the email. This includes wearing surgical masks over cloth ones and KN95 masks over surgical masks, according to IU’s COVID-19 website.

“This carefully considered decision, with the health and well-being of IU community members in mind, is the result of IU’s continued commitment to monitoring COVID-19 data and managing our response with guidance from the latest science,” the email said.

This decision comes as some universities, including Harvard, Northwestern and Stanford have decided to go virtual for the first few weeks of the semester.

IU medical experts will continue to monitor the pandemic and make adjustments as necessary to COVID-19 guidelines, according to the email.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.