bloomington coronavirus

IU offers 6 types of COVID-19 testing amid Omicron surge

Catesting011222.jpg

IU is offering several COVID-19 testing options on campus amid a surge in cases fueled by the Omicron variant. 

Symptomatic tests

In-person symptomatic testing is available for students and faculty experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, according to the IU COVID-19 testing webpage. The saliva-based test can be done at the Student Health Center after filling out a symptom checker and scheduling a test. All sites will be drive up or walk up and outdoors.The results will be sent via email within 24 to 72 hours, according to the webpage. If the test is positive, IU contact tracers will send instructions about isolation. 

Drop-off tests

Drop-off testing is a new option available for both people experiencing symptoms and people who are asymptomatic but would like to be tested. According to IU’s testing webpage, people can pick up a test kit at the lower level of the East garage located at 150 N. Jordan Ave. between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and between 12 and 6 p.m. Thursday. Test kits are also available at the Student Health Center after 5 p.m. during the week and anytime Saturday and Sunday. 

Related: [Dr. Aaron Carroll explains IU decision to remain in person, says classrooms are safe]

People can submit the kit to 800 N. Indiana Ave. or the lower level of the East garage within 48 hours of collecting their saliva sample and registering the kit online. The results will come back in 24 to 48 hours after the sample is picked up from the collection site. If the test is positive, IU contact tracers will send instructions about isolation. Individuals who tested positive will be required to participate in IU’s daily symptom checker, which consists of daily text messages asking about symptoms, before they can receive official confirmation from IU to end isolation.

COVID-19 check tests

Weekly asymptomatic testing is required for students and faculty who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Unvaccinated people will receive emails each Friday to schedule a saliva test at the School of Public Health in Gym 171. The results will come back in 3 to 5 days. If the test is positive, IU contact tracers will send instructions about isolation and the daily symptom checker.

Asymptomatic tests

Free, optional tests are available for students and faculty who are not experiencing symptoms, have not tested positive in the past 90 days, have not been selected for COVID-19 check testing that week and are not in quarantine as a close contact, according to the webpage. Students, faculty and staff must register for a test, which will be in the School of Public Health in Gym 171. If the test is positive, IU contact tracers will send instructions about isolation and the daily symptom checker. 

Related: [Students express mixed feelings about resuming classes in person]

Antigen tests

Also known as rapid tests, antigen tests produce faster results without using a lab but may not be as sensitive as the PCR tests IU mostly relies on, IU Chief Health Officer Aaron Carroll said. Some athletes, performers and healthcare workers are tested frequently using antigen tests so they can quickly get results and participate in their activities or work, Carroll said. Rapid antigen tests can be purchased in stores or online. At state sites in Indiana, the tests are only available for people ages 18 and younger or symptomatic individuals ages 50 and older due to the limited supply, Carroll said.

Off campus

People can report a positive test result from a testing site outside of IU’s campus through IU’s self-report form, according to the testing webpage. IU contact tracers will send instructions about isolation.