sports wrestling

Indiana wrestling loses 17-15 to Michigan State, falling short in final matches

spiuwr011722-5.jpg

Indiana lost 17-15 in a close match against Michigan State on Monday. It was the first home dual meet at Wilkinson Hall in front of fans since Feb. 16, 2020, against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.

“It felt great,” head coach Angel Escobedo said. “The fans got really loud, it was a great environment and it hasn’t been like that in two years.”

Indiana started the day off with No. 33-ranked sophomore Jacob Moran losing to Michigan State sophomore Tristan Lujan via an 8-0 major decision in the 125-pound class.

No. 18-ranked graduate student Brock Hudkins came back from a 2-1 deficit to take the 133-pound class match away from No. 11-ranked Michigan State senior Rayvon Foley by a score of 5-3. Hudkins now has an 8-0 individual record for the season.

No. 30-ranked junior Cayden Rooks defeated Michigan State sophomore Jordan Hamdan in the 141-pound class by a 3-1 regular decision to give Indiana a 6-4 lead. Indiana junior Graham Rooks defeated Michigan State sophomore Peyton Omania in the 149-pound class match by an 8-4 regular decision, moving Indiana to 9-4 over Michigan State.

Momentum changed for Michigan State when Indiana sophomore Jonathan Kervin lost the 157-pound class match by a 12-0 major decision to No. 19-ranked freshman Chase Saldate and by intermission, Indiana led by only one point.

Indiana junior Kasper McIntosh made his debut in the 165-pound class. The transfer from Minnesota previously wrestled in the 157-pound class. McIntosh lost the match to Michigan State sophomore Caleb Fish 7-1 and the Spartans took an 11-9 lead.

Junior Nick South made his first appearance wrestling in the 174-pound class since the Cleveland State Open. South went into an overtime period with Michigan State junior Nathan Jimenez after tying 1-1 in the three periods. The match ended when South got out of referee’s position and Jimnez was unable to do so.

“I am very proud of Nick South,” Escobedo said. “He had to really dig deep, and both guys were tired and I thought Nick really pushed past it. Instead of finding a way to lose, he found a way to win.”

No. 8-ranked junior DJ Washington wrestled his third consecutive ranked opponent in the 184-pound class. After losses to No. 5-ranked Rutgers freshman John Poznanski and No. 1-ranked Penn State sophomore Aaron Brooks, Washington got his first in-conference dual meet victory against No. 29-ranked sophomore Layne Malczewski.

Indiana junior Nick Willham lost against No. 18-ranked Michigan State junior Cameron Caffey in the 197-pound class in a 2-0 decision. Indiana junior Jacob Bullock determined the fate of the match in the heavyweight class with a 2-1 loss to Michigan State senior Brad Wilton.

“They’re a great team,” Escobedo said about Michigan State. “They just had a big upset win over Purdue a couple of days ago and had the momentum going into here.”

Michigan State defeated No. 16 Purdue 17-15 on Saturday.

Indiana’s next match will be against Maryland at 7 p.m. Friday at Wilkinson Hall.