Indiana football quarterback Michael Penix Jr. enters transfer portal

sppenix120521.jpg

Indiana football quarterback Michael Penix Jr. entered the transfer portal Sunday, according to a post on his instagram account.

“I feel blessed to have been able to represent Indiana University,” Penix wrote in the post. “I appreciate the opportunity that was afforded to me by Coach Allen and I’m grateful for his belief in me.”

In 2021, Penix passed for 939 yards, four touchdowns and seven interceptions before suffering an acromioclavicular joint separation in his left shoulder against Penn State on Oct. 2, which ended up as a season-ending injury. He entered the season on watchlists for the Davey O’Brien, Walter Camp and Maxwell Awards.

Penix joined Indiana in 2018 out of Tampa Bay Technical High School in Tampa, Florida. He redshirted his freshman year after suffering an injury against Penn State.

Penix was named Indiana’s starting quarterback in 2019, starting in six games before a season-ending sternoclavicular joint injury in his right shoulder against Northwestern. He passed for 1,394 yards, 10 touchdowns and four interceptions.

Penix started six games in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season before suffering a torn ACL against Maryland. He lifted Indiana above then-No. 8 Penn State in its season opener with a stretch to the pylon in a two-point conversion in overtime.

He passed for 1,645 yards, 14 touchdowns and four interceptions. Penix had a career-high 491 yards and five touchdowns against Ohio State, the most passing yards allowed in Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio, since 1985. He was named a semifinalist for the Davey O’Brien Award and earned Indiana’s Anthony Thompson Most Valuable Player Award following the season.

Penix was named a team captain in 2020 and 2021.