Bloomington city employees must receive vaccination or undergo weekly testing starting in 2022

The Bloomington City Hall building is seen Dec. 15, 2019, at 401 N. Morton St. Under new federal guidelines, Bloomington city government is required to mandate its employees to either receive the COVID-19 vaccine or be tested weekly and wear masks during work.

Under new federal guidelines, Bloomington city government is required to mandate its employees to either receive the COVID-19 vaccine or be tested weekly and wear masks during work. This regulation will take effect starting Jan. 4, 2022, Mayor John Hamilton said.

Hamilton said during the city’s weekly COVID-19 press conference Friday that vaccinated city employees will need to demonstrate their vaccination status. Unvaccinated city employees will be required to wear a mask at work.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration announced new requirements Thursday for employers with more than 100 employees to enforce vaccinations. OSHA also requires these employers to offer paid leave for employees to take the vaccine and recover from their side effects.

The new OSHA rule comes after President Joe Biden announced a set of vaccine mandates in early September to combat the spread of COVID-19.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.