Indiana's Gabriel Sanchez named Big Ten men’s cross country Freshman of the Year

<p>Sophomore Gabriel Sanchez leads in the final stretch of the 8K race Sept. 4, 2021, on the IU Championship Course in Bloomington. Sanchez was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year for cross country.</p>

Sophomore Gabriel Sanchez leads in the final stretch of the 8K race Sept. 4, 2021, on the IU Championship Course in Bloomington. Sanchez was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year for cross country.

Indiana men’s cross country’s Gabriel Sanchez was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year, the conference announced Monday.

Sanchez finished first overall in the Indiana Open on Sept. 4, Indiana’s first race of the season. He followed that result with a 77th finish at the Joe Piane Invitational and a 116th finish at the Nuttycombe Invitational. On Oct. 29, Sanchez placed 45th in the Big Ten Championships.

Sanchez is listed as a sophomore but has freshman eligibility this season since he didn’t compete in any races last season.

Indiana sports: Indiana cross country ends regular season with strong performance at Hoosier Invitational

The last time an Indiana runner won the award was 2016 when now-senior Ben Veatch received the honor.

Two other Indiana runners were also honored by the conference’s postseason awards. Senior Hannah Stoffel and junior Austin Haskett each received sportsmanship awards.

Sanchez and Indiana will next compete in the 10k men’s race and 6k women’s race at the Great Lakes Regional Championships on Nov. 12 in Evansville, Indiana.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.