sports swimming & diving

No. 6 Indiana men’s swim and dive dominates at the Ohio State Fall Invitational

spiusdrecap112221.jpeg

No. 6 Indiana men’s swim and dive placed first at the Ohio State Fall Invitational Nov. 18-20 in Columbus, Ohio. Indiana moved to 6-0 this season with the win. 

The Hoosiers finished with 2,830 points in the three-day event, outperforming second-place Ohio State by 547 points. 

Senior Andrew Capobianco won the 1-meter dive with a score of 366.30 and won the 3-meter dive, scoring 428.55. With this performance, he earned NCAA Zone Qualifying scores for the postseason. 

“It was a great weekend for Hoosier diving,” head diving coach Drew Johansen said. “It was a nice return for Andrew Capobianco in all three events, and Carson Tyler had a standout performance in the platform today.”

Freshman Carson Tyler came in third in both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives. He spun into first in the platform dive, finishing with a 428.20. 

On Thursday, Indiana’s 400-yard medley relay squad of freshman Rafael Miroslaw, junior Brendan Burns and seniors Van Mathias and Gabriel Fantoni won with a time of 3:04.05. Their time set a meet record and secured a spot in the NCAA Division I Championships A cut with their qualifying time. 

Miroslaw, Fantoni and seniors Bruno Blaskovic and Jack Franzman also met A cut qualifying standard in the 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1:16.63. 

Indiana relay squads continue to stay consistent, but head swimming coach Ray Looze says more can be done to get to the championship level.   

“When one man goes down, another needs to step up and get the job done,” Looze said. “This team has superior depth but needs to have a better idea what a championship mentality really entails.”

Blaskovic recorded a 19.21 in the 50-yard freestyle preliminaries, making him the second fastest in the event nationally. During the 50-yard freestyle finals, he tied for first with Virginia Tech’s Yousse Ramadan with a time of 19.28. Their time set a pool record, which was previously 20.07.

Indiana swept the 500-yard freestyle with junior Michael Brinegar placing first at 4:16.82. Senior Mikey Calvillo placed second with a 4:18.13 and sophomore Warren Briggs placed third with a 4:18.62. All three secured NCAA Division I Championships B cut qualifying standard times. For Brinegar, this is his third-straight 500-yard freestyle win. 

Senior Mikey Calvillo and sophomore Tristan DeWitt went head-to-head on Friday in the 400-yard individual medley. Calvillo came in first with a 3:46.23 and DeWitt got second with a 3:46.32. Both times qualified as NCAA Division I Championships B cut standards. 

After posting a record performance Thursday in the 400-yard medley, Burns, Mathias and Miroslaw joined Franzman to set another record in the 800-yard freestyle. The quartet marked an NCAA Division I Championships B cut qualifying standard with a time of 6:17.27. Franzman finished first with time to spare as Ohio State place second, posting a 6:23.31.

Senior Gabriel Fantoni secured an individual meet record and won with an NCAA Division I Championship B cut time of 45.20 in the 100-yard backstroke. Coming in third, senior Jacob Steele posted a 46.02, also qualifying for the B cut. 

Saturday wrapped up the competition and cemented Indiana’s win at the Invitational.

Brinegar began the final round of events by placing first in the 1650-yard freestyle with a time of 14:40.23 and qualifying for the B cut. 

In the 400-yard freestyle relay, Miroslaw, Franzman, sophomore Tomer Frankel and Mathias recorded an A cut time of 2:49.05. 

Indiana is back at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 3 at Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatics Center in Bloomington as they host the University of Cincinnati for a dual meet.