Indiana Memorial Union Hosts the Annual Light Up the Night Event

<p>IU students watch the candle being lit Nov. 17, 2021, at the Indiana Memorial Union. The “Light Up the Night” candle lighting event will start at 7 p.m. Dec. 1.</p>

IU students watch the candle being lit Nov. 17, 2021, at the Indiana Memorial Union. The “Light Up the Night” candle lighting event will start at 7 p.m. Dec. 1.

People are invited to celebrate the holiday season at “Light Up the Night,” the annual lighting of the Indiana Memorial Union’s outdoor candles at the Circle Drive. The candle lighting will start at 7 p.m. on Dec. 1.

The outdoor candles are affixed to the building’s east and west towers on the Biddle Hotel. 

While this will be the 53rd year of the candle tradition, the lighting event itself is just a few years old. This will be the third annual “Light Up the Night” event. 

The event will include a performance by the Singing Hoosiers and complimentary gingerbread cookies from Sugar and Spice.

Two students will lead the candle lighting ceremony. The main candle is 80 feet tall with 150 red bulbs and 33 white bulbs. The smaller candle stands at 60 feet tall, comprising 88 red bulbs and 34 white bulbs. 

The candles will remain lit until New Year’s Day. 

Determined to continue the candle lighting tradition during the pandemic, last year’s event was live-streamed on the IMU Instagram account with the option for people to attend in person.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.