Black Voices

Black Voices: Atlanta news anchor Jovita Moore loses her battle to brain cancer

bvjovita110721.jpg

On Oct. 28, Atlanta’s very own news anchor Jovita Moore died. Moore had an aggressive form of brain cancer and was diagnosed in April. 

Her doctors discovered two masses on Moore’s brain, later diagnosing her with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of cancer which affects the brain and spinal cord. There is no cure for this specific cancer, only treatments to stop the tumor from rapidly growing. 

Jovita had a long and successful career in the journalism industry. She received her master’s in broadcast journalism from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism in New York City and a bachelor’s of arts degree from Bennington College. 

Black Voices: Representation matters — in front of and behind the camera

Her career in news started with an internship at the New York Times, and from then on, she flourished in broadcasting. Moore worked for WSB-TV in Atlanta, Georgia, since 1998 and was moved to the main anchor desk where she worked until her death last month.

In 2017, she was inducted into the Silver Circle, one of the most prestigious awards anyone in journalism can receive. This is given to broadcasters who have left their mark in over 25 years of being in the business. Jovita was awarded several Emmy awards for her work at WSB-TV and as a member of the Atlanta Association of Black Journalists and National Association of Black Journalists. 

Shaynah Ferreria, a reporter for FOX29 in Philadelphia, met Jovita Moore at the 2019 National Association of Black Journalist Convention and aspired to be an anchor like Jovita.

“For so many young Black journalists, Jovita Moore was our standard,” Ferreria wrote in a tweet. “A class act, trusted journalist and a beautiful spirit. Jovita was unapologetically Black and owned everything she was… she gave us Black journalists permission to be us.” 

Dave Jordan, an Emmy-nominated journalist, was a friend of Moore and witnessed how she influenced the community. 

“Young journalists, mentoring them, going to NABJ conferences was her soft spot,” he said in an interview

According to WSB-TV, outside of work, community service was something Moore held close to her heart. She always had a helping hand in the Atlanta community. She helped organizations across Atlanta such as Meals on Wheels, Our House and United Way. 

“She was a constant MC of our African American partnership luncheon,” the president of United Way of Greater Atlanta, Milton Little, said in an interview with WSB-TV. “She was incredibly generous. Atlanta has lost an amazing woman and civic leader.”