coronavirus

Monroe County Board of Commissioners unanimously votes to extend masking, COVID regulations

COVID Filler NEW.png

The Monroe County Board of Commissioners voted unanimously Wednesday to extend COVID-19 health regulations until the Indiana State Department of Health issues a blue advisory level and when cases drop below 50 cases per 100,000 residents.

A blue advisory level indicates minimal community spread of COVID-19 and is the lowest level of concern for the spread of the virus, according to the ISDH website. Monroe County is currently under a yellow advisory level, the second lowest level of concern that indicates moderate community spread of the virus, according to the ISDH’s county map.

The vote extends Monroe County’s current COVID-19 restrictions, which include requiring community members to wear face coverings in indoor, public places and requires businesses to ask visitors to wear face coverings.

“It’s wonderful to hear about how well Monroe County is doing compared to the rest of Indiana,” Board of Commissioners Vice President Lee Jones said during the Wednesday meeting. “I think what that has to be attributed to is our mask ordinance and the fact that so many people have been compliant with it.”

Monroe County currently has 111 positive cases of COVID-19 per 100,000 residents as well as a seven-day positivity rate of 4.46%. To move to a blue advisory level, Monroe County must maintain its current positivity rate and lower positive cases per 100,000 residents to less than 100 cases for two consecutive weeks, according to the ISDH website.

“This is all based on the CDC’s recommendations,” Monroe County Health Administrator Penny Caudill said. “People should be masking indoors and public places regardless of their vaccination status. We did not put an end date (on the extensions) because we believe that we’re pretty close to our goal.”