sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer’s Celentano wins Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week

spiumsbrief101921.jpg

Junior goalkeeper Roman Celentano won the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, the conference announced Tuesday.

Celentano is Indiana men’s soccer’s second-consecutive winner of the award after junior defender Daniel Munie won it last week. 

Indiana posted shutouts in both of its matchups against Ohio State and Penn State last week. Celentano led the way for Indiana, saving nine shots across the two matches. With its win against Penn State, Indiana moved into a tie for first place in the Big Ten standings and Celentano picked up the 30th win of his Indiana career. 

Related: Indiana men’s soccer hands Penn State first Big Ten loss, keeps conference title hopes alive

This is the first time this season Celentano has won the award and the fifth time of his career. Including Celentano’s distinction this week, Hoosiers have won Big Ten Player of the Week awards four times this season — Munie has won twice on defense and freshman midfielder Tommy Mihalic has won once on offense.

Indiana will play its next matchup against the University of Evansville at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Indiana will look to extend its four-match winning streak against Evansville, a stretch where it has outscored its opponents 14-0 and Celentano has saved 12 shots.