sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer’s Daniel Munie wins second Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week award

spiumsmunie101221.jpg

Junior defender Daniel Munie was announced as the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week on Tuesday following Indiana men’s soccer’s shutouts against nonconference opponents the University of Nebraska-Omaha and Trine University last week. 

Munie scored Indiana’s fifth goal off a header after a pass from junior forward Victor Bezerra in its 9-0 win against Trine on Saturday. The goal was his third of the season and fifth in his career.

Munie has started in all 11 games for the Hoosiers and put up five clean sheets, three goals and one assist. The defender’s other two goals came against the University of Akron and Rutgers. Munie’s goal against Akron — also a header — helped keep the match a 1-1 draw, after which Munie was awarded Defensive Player of the Week in the week of Sept. 12.

Munie’s most recent accolade marks the third player of the week honors received by Indiana after freshman forward Tommy Mihalic won Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week in the opening week of the season.

Indiana is 7-3-1 on the season and set to return to Big Ten play against Ohio State at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Bloomington on Big Ten Network.