crime & courts

Bloomington police arrest suspect in Islamic Center of Bloomington vandalism

caislamiccenter102121.JPG

The Bloomington Police Department arrested a suspect Thursday following vandalism at the Islamic Center of Bloomington Monday morning.

Adam Lee Walls, 32, was arrested early Thursday morning and charged with a level 6 felony.

In a Tuesday Facebook post, the ICOB said the suspect damaged a new HVAC unit, the new fence, security cameras, picnic tables and more. Toys from the playground were also damaged, according to a BPD press release.

The center said in the Facebook post they believe the vandalism was a hate crime and the ICOB was specifically targeted.

caislamiccenter102121-2.jpg
Surveillance footage obtained by the Bloomington Police Department shows a suspect vandalizing the Islamic Center's playground Oct. 18, 2021. Police arrested Adam L. Walls, 32, for the vandalism Thursday morning. Courtesy Photo

Walls told police in an interview his actions were not racially or religiously motivated, according to the Herald-Times.

Police responded to the ICOB Monday morning and reviewed surveillance footage of the incident. The footage shows a man entering the playground area at about 1:13 a.m. The police released pictures of the suspect on Oct. 19 to seek help from community members. According to their news release today, the subject damaged several items before leaving around 2:00 a.m.

State Senator Shelli Yoder, D-Bloomington, condemned the incident in a statement. 

“The defacement of a religious center is always disrespectful and unacceptable, and I hope the Islamic Center of Bloomington will see a swift recovery,” she said.

Wei Wang contributed reporting.