No. 17 IU football’s 34-6 loss to No. 18 Iowa shows disparity in linemen talent

spiufb090421-1.jpeg

For No. 17 IU to go into Iowa City and defeat No. 18 Iowa, it needed to prove it had improved its two weakest position groups from last season — the offensive and defensive line. 

In Saturday’s 34-6 loss to the Hawkeyes, the difference in the two universities’ line talent was put on display. The Hoosiers were bullied by a team known for the lineman it produces in the first half. By the time it established itself in the second half, the game was already out of reach.

While the defensive line was able to hold its own, head coach Tom Allen expressed his disappointment in the offensive line postgame. 

“We gotta get that fixed,” Allen said. “They’re better, to me, than they showed today. They have to be.”

Out of the 40 former Iowa players on NFL rosters, 16 were lineman. In a 2020 article, Sports Illustrated ranked Iowa No. 8 on a list of the top ten universities for offensive lineman the last decade.

IU, with a smaller sample size of 13 alumni in the NFL, only has five lineman on professional rosters, only three of whom were active and two were on practice squads. 

Even with Iowa starting a new right tackle and right guard, the more experienced IU defensive line felt out of place. The Hoosiers were only able to create pressure on Iowa’s junior quarterback Spencer Petras when bringing extra defenders. 

IU had two sacks, only one of which was by a defensive lineman. The first came at the end of the first half by graduate transfer defensive lineman Ryder Anderson. 

Anderson also had two of IU’s six tackles for loss. The transfer from the University of Mississippi was one of the few bright spots for IU’s line alongside graduate student Weston Kramer. Anderson and Kramer, who transferred to IU from Northern Illinois University before the season, shared the team lead with seven tackles.

“I’ve played a lot of football and I’ve seen a lot of teams,” Anderson said. “I know that this team right here is good. The scoreboard may not have shown it today, but there’s next week.”

In IU’s first possession of the third quarter, facing a third down with three yards to go, a run play designed for Carr was immediately met by the Iowa defensive line, forcing the Hoosiers to convert a fourth down.

Later that same drive, the offensive line gave in to Iowa’s defense again and the pocket collapsed on junior quarterback Michael Penix Jr. He was sacked, stalling IU’s second drive into the red zone and leading to a field goal.

Even when the line held up, other mistakes negated IU’s offensive gains. Caleb Jones had two false start penalties and a holding call, accounting for 20 of IU’s 77 penalty yards. Another holding call on the offensive line was declined.

Late in the third quarter, IU’s defensive line folded to Iowa’s offensive line, allowing a three-yard quarterback sneak to convert a third-and-one.

The defense held Iowa junior running back to 39 yards after the first drive, an average of 2.3 yards per carry. Anderson said part of the game plan was stopping Goodson, which IU succeeded in after allowing his 56-yard touchdown run on the game’s opening drive.

“We had to stop the run, no matter who you play,” Anderson said. “We could’ve done even better. There’s a lot to go back and clean up.”

Disregard the two pick-sixes that put 14 points on the board for the Hawkeyes. Ignore the play calling with questionable runs on third-and-25. If the Hoosiers didn’t have uncharacteristic, game-changing mistakes, they still stood no chance. Iowa’s strength negated IU’s.

The Iowa defensive line overwhelmed the IU offensive line, forcing Penix to scramble and force throws. Even when he stayed in the pocket, Allen said he never looked comfortable, making his return from an ACL injury all that more difficult. Iowa had six quarterback hurries in total.

Penix didn’t have specific points that lead to IU’s defeat.

“Just poor execution,” he said. “That’s all I got.”