sports volleyball

Indiana volleyball drops match against No. 8 Ohio State

spiuvb092921.jpg

Indiana volleyball continued its conference season Wednesday night, losing to Ohio State in a three-set match in Columbus, Ohio. 

Head coach Steve Aird said he was disappointed with how they started and after the Hoosiers dropped the first set 25-10. 

The Hoosiers came back more aggressively in the second and third sets of the night, and Aird said he thought they felt more like themselves. They tightened the gap, losing these close sets 27-25 and 25-20.

“We managed the game a little bit better and had a little bit less error,” Aird said. “We flipped where we started. At this point we’re just trying to find people who are gonna do what we train and especially offensively. ” 

Aird said senior outside hitter Kari Zumach and junior middle blocker Kaley Rammelsberg had a strong game, but the team needs to find more consistency. 

“We struggled specifically with the outside hitting," Aird said. "We were just too high error. They’re a really good team, and for us to beat really good teams, we’ve got to be a little cleaner.”

The team experienced a quick turnaround from its match against Purdue last Sunday. Aird said having four matches in seven days is challenging, since it leaves the team with only one day to practice between matches.

“That’s the nature of the conference,” Aird said. “There’s not a lot of time to train and not a lot of time to teach and it's when you have veteran teams that’s a little bit easier. Our young people struggled and we have to get them going.”

Indiana fell to a 7-8 record with the loss and will take on Penn State at 6 p.m. Saturday in Wilkinson Hall. Penn State has a 9-3 record this season and will be Indiana’s third ranked matchup in a row.