COLUMN: Hulu show ‘Only Murders in the Building’ hasn’t died yet

entonlymurder092121.jpg

As I write this, I am cuing up the sixth episode of “Only Murders in the Building” on Hulu. So far, my biggest qualm is that they didn’t release them all at one time, and I’ve felt the need to ration each episode so I’m not stuck waiting.

With where the to-be 10-episode series stands right now, I have been thoroughly enjoying it, just as I expected to. 

I was excited when I saw Steve Martin was a writer and was starring alongside Martin Short. The two men are comedy legends who know so much about timing and storytelling and have been showcasing it in both their writing and acting in this show so far.​​ This show has managed to be comedic and suspenseful at the same time. 

It follows Martin playing a washed-up actor, Short playing a financially unstable producer and Selena Gomez playing a mysterious woman renovating her aunt's unit who all live in the same apartment building in New York City. After someone is murdered in their building, they band together to solve it and also create a podcast about solving the murder since they are all fans of the same crime podcast.  

I know the show is trying to appeal to the true crime podcast junkies, but even as someone who would not consider herself that, I’ve been entertained the whole time. It’s been a really interesting whodunit with twists and turns only predictable enough to make you feel like you’re along for the mystery. 

The show has also brought on surprises, such as Tina Fey, who plays the host of their favorite podcast, and singer Sting who plays himself. It adds another layer of enjoyment and fun. 

I was worried there was going to be too much of a focus on poking fun at crime podcasts. But as the show progresses, the episodes have moved to focus on the murder a lot more, and the plot thickens. 

The show, which is set to conclude Oct.19, has already been renewed for season two. I’m happy to know there will be more to come. 

The only way “Only Murders in the Building” could mess up now is having the ending fall flat — but so far nothing about the show has — so I have high hopes for the finale.