Tuesday, March 19

crime & courts

UPDATE: BPD report shooting on West Third Street Tuesday, suspect in custody

Police are investigating a shooting Tuesday near the 3400 block of West Third Street which resulted in one person being shot, Bloomington Police Department Captain Ryan Pedigo said. 

According to a Wednesday press release, the suspect has been arrested and was preliminarily charged with three felonies including attempted murder, criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon and pointing a firearm.

Multiple officers responded to a call about a person who was shot at 5:30 p.m., Pedigo said.

He said a 21-year-old man was injured from the shooting with multiple gunshot wounds and was transferred by ambulance to the hospital. He went into emergency surgery Tuesday night.

Pedigo said the man was in a vehicle in the Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers drive-thru when the suspect approached the vehicle. The man exited the vehicle with another passenger and the man ran through the parking lot, Pedigo said. 

The suspect followed and shot the man multiple times while he was running, Pedigo said.

He said the suspect reportedly dropped the handgun and attempted to flee the scene. Pedigo said the other passenger then picked up the gun and fired at the suspect, but they were not hit.

The passenger drove away from the scene with the man who was shot and called police, Pedigo said. 

The suspect was located behind the strip mall inside a dumpster and was taken into custody without incident, Pedigo said.

Pedigo said the investigation is ongoing.