City Council ends in-person annexation meeting, moves it online due to COVID-19 variant concerns

Bloomington City Hall is located at 401 N Morton St. The Bloomington City Council voted to immediately conclude a special session Wednesday, which was scheduled to hear public comment regarding debated annexation proposals, due to concerns of the in-person event spreading COVID-19.

The Bloomington City Council voted to immediately conclude a special session Wednesday, which was scheduled to hear public comment regarding debated annexation proposals, due to concerns of the in-person event spreading COVID-19, with the rise of the Delta variant.

The meeting will be pushed back to 4 p.m. Wednesday to take place entirely on Zoom

Multiple council members apologized for the meeting postponement and said community members will still be able to give comments about the proposals.

Councilmember Matt Flaherty said COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations are on the rise since last month.

“My view is that hosting a potentially large in-person gathering at City Hall, even with safety protocols in place, is not in the best interest of public health and safety of our community at this time,” Flaherty said.

More than 130 people attended the meeting via Zoom and about 20 community members were present in-person.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.

Comments