sports water polo

IU water polo alumni Gaudreault, La Roche join Team Canada for Tokyo Olympics

spolympians071221.jpg

Two IU alumni, Jessica Gaudreault and Shae La Roche, will play for Canada’s water polo team in the upcoming Tokyo Olympics.

Gaudreault, from Ottawa, Ontario, was selected as an alternate for Team Canada. She spent two years playing for the Hoosiers from 2011-2013 before taking two years to train with the Canadian Women’s Senior National Team. Gaudreault graduated in 2018 after using her final two years of eligibility from 2016-2018. 

Gaudreault was a member of the Canadian national team in 2017. She finished her career at IU second all-time in saves with 995 and was a three-time Collegiate Water Polo Association All-Conference First Team selection.

La Roche, from Winnipeg, Manitoba, will join the team as an attacker. She played for the Hoosiers from 2011-14. 

La Roche holds the IU records for single-season goals with 95, and career goals with 305. She is one of only five players to record more than 300 goals in NCAA history and was named the CWPA Player of the Year in 2014.

This is Canada’s first Olympic water polo tournament since playing in Athens 2004. The team secured their spot in the Tokyo Olympics after earning a silver medal in the Lima 2019 Pan Am Games. Both Gaudreault and La Roche were on the team. La Roche scored one goal in a 24-4 loss to Team USA.

The 2020 Olympic Games begin July 23 in Tokyo, Japan.