Hanna Németh, Ethan Shepard receive Big Ten Medal of Honor

<p>Then-junior Hanna Németh looks to block a Maryland player Oct. 17 in College Park, Maryland. Németh was named a recipient of the Big Ten Medal of Honor on Thursday.</p>

Then-junior Hanna Németh looks to block a Maryland player Oct. 17 in College Park, Maryland. Németh was named a recipient of the Big Ten Medal of Honor on Thursday.

Senior golfer Ethan Shepard and women’s soccer senior defender Hanna Németh were named Big Ten Medal of Honor recipients Thursday, according to a release.

The Medal of Honor is awarded to a male and female athlete from the graduating class of each Big Ten school who excels in academics and athletics.

Németh has appeared in 65 games in her IU career, including 60 starts. She scored her first career goal against Penn State last season and has five career assists. Németh has been named Academic All-Big Ten three times and is a three-time Big Ten Distinguished Scholar honoree.

Shepard, a three-time Academic All-Big Ten selection, was named a second-team All-Big Ten selection last year. Shepard averaged a score of 73.33 and finished in the top-10 twice.

Shepard and Németh are part of the 107th Medal of Honor class.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments