arts iu auditorium

A welcome return to the theater: IU auditorium announces schedule for the upcoming season

entauditorium070521.jpg

The IU auditorium has released the schedule for next season. Filled with musicals, celebrity appearances and rescheduling of shows from 2020, the fifteen show season will begin Oct. 5. 

“Waitress” 

Originally scheduled to come to IU in 2020, “Waitress” will finally take place at the IU auditorium Oct. 5 and 6. The musical, written by Grammy winner Sara Bareilles, is an uplifting and hilarious tale of a young woman and her journey as a waitress and her unexpected pregnancy. 

“Dennis James Hosts Halloween” 

A Bloomington Halloween tradition– this year’s show will feature the 1929 silent film “The Mysterious Island.” A costume contest will be held before the show so make sure to come early to join in. Dennis James will take the stage Oct. 27. 

Kristen Chenoweth 

Emmy and Tony award winning actress and singer Kristen Chenoweth comes to Bloomington Oct. 30 to honor female singers throughout history. 

“Anastasia”

A classic childhood tale comes to life on the auditorium stage Nov. 9 and 10. Follow the journey of a young princess as she takes an adventure-filled ride back to her past. 

“Chimes of Christmas” 

The IU Singing Hoosiers spread holiday cheer in their annual concert. They will perform two times on Dec. 4, once at 2 p.m. and again that evening at 7:30 p.m. The concert will be directed by Dr. Chris Albanese and will include contemporary songs, classic carols and choral arrangements. 

“Beautiful – The Carole King Musical” 

Originally set to come to the auditorium April 17-19, 2020, the show is rescheduled for Dec. 10-12. Before she was Carole King she was Carol Klein, see the journey of a Brooklynn girl as she fights her way through the record business. 

Straight No Chaser 

An IU-born acapella group makes a return home to Bloomington on Dec. 17 as part of their “Back in the High Life Tour.” 

“An Officer and a Gentleman” 

A tale that relies on the importance of love and friendship, “An Officer and a Gentleman” comes to Bloomington on Jan. 18. 

Ken Jeong 

One of the biggest comedic stars, Ken Jeong, comes to the auditorium Feb. 12 for a night of standup comedy. Jeong was a star in “The Hangover” films, “Crazy Rich Asians” and “Step Brothers”. 

Martha Graham Dance Company 

Founded in 1926 by Martha Graham, the dance company is known for being a leader in the evolution of modern dance. Join the company March 1 as they perform Acts of Light, Immediate Tragedy and Diversion of Angels. 

Blue Man Group 

A show for all ages, the Blue Man Group features original music, custom music and audience interaction. They will be coming to Bloomington March 23 and 24. 

St. Louis Symphony Company 

The Grammy award winning symphony orchestra will come to Bloomington on March 25. It is the second oldest orchestra in the country and is considered one of the finest. 

“The Prom” 

Set in a small town in Indiana, a teenage girl suffers backlash after wanting to take her girlfriend to the prom. “The Prom” features small town characters and big Broadway stars who share one common goal. This musical will make its way to the auditorium March 29 and 30. 

Silkroad Ensemble 

Founded by cellist Yo-Yo Ma, the multimedia performance will come to Bloomington April 8. The performance will feature a performance of “Home Within”, an emotional tale of home in conflict. 

“Jersey Boys” 

The Tony and Grammy award winning musical comes to the auditorium April 22 and 23. Just four guys from Jersey until they became international sensations. 

Yo-Yo Ma and Kathryn Stott 

Yo-Yo Ma, world-renowned cellist, and Kathryn Stott, world-renowned pianist, come together April 26 to end the auditorium’s season with a night of music.