IU’s Jamar Johnson selected by Denver Broncos in 5th round of NFL Draft

<p>Then-senior defensive lineman Michael Ziemba and and then-junior defensive back Jamar Johnson tackle an opponent Oct. 24, 2020, at Memorial Stadium. Johnson was taken by the Denver Broncos with the 164th overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft on Saturday.</p>

Then-senior defensive lineman Michael Ziemba and and then-junior defensive back Jamar Johnson tackle an opponent Oct. 24, 2020, at Memorial Stadium. Johnson was taken by the Denver Broncos with the 164th overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft on Saturday.

Former IU safety Jamar Johnson is heading to Denver after being picked 164th overall in the 5th round by the Broncos in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Johnson, a first-team All-Big Ten selection by the media in 2020, had 43 tackles, four interceptions, one forced fumble and one sack during the eight-game season. He intercepted Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields twice in the team’s 42-35 loss Nov. 21, 2020. Fields had not thrown an interception all season before that game. 

Johnson spent his junior season in 2019 at husky, a combination safety and linebacker position, before moving to free safety and starting all eight games in 2020. He is ranked the No. 3 safety and No. 47 overall prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft by Pro Football Focus.

The Broncos finished 25th in the NFL in total defense in 2020, and 15th in total pass defense. Johnson joins a safety group that features Kareem Jackson, who re-signed a one-year deal with the team in March, and Justin Simmons, who was named a second-team All-Pro in 2019 by the Associated Press.

With the pick, IU has now had a player selected in eight consecutive NFL Drafts.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments