COLUMN: A stagnant free agency could hurt a Colts team with limited draft capital

spnsc041421.jpg

The Indianapolis Colts found their next quarterback in Carson Wentz this offseason, but that’s about it. With plenty of team needs across the board, the Colts have had a relatively inactive free agency that hurts their chances of living up to their potential. 

So far, the most significant signings have all been re-signings. Xavier Rhodes, T.Y. Hilton and Marlon Mack will all return to the team. Their other free agency signings Julién Davenport, a tackle from Miami, and defensive end Isaac Rochell along with tackle Sam Tevi, both from the Los Angeles Chargers, are simply depth players. 

Rhodes had a fantastic debut season in Indianapolis following a down year in Minnesota. His return on another one-year deal is crucial but nowhere near makes up for Indianapolis’ losses and inactivity, especially at the age of 31. 

So far, the Colts have only lost five players this offseason. Defensive end Denico Autry signed a 3-year, $21.5 million contract with division-rival Tennessee Titans after a 7.5-sack season. Linebacker Anthony Walker was the other big loss, signing with the Cleveland Browns for just $3 million. Following a season of 65 tackles, the Colts chose to pass on re-signing the young prospect.

However, the projected losses are where Indy is hurting even more. Regular starters such as safety Malik Hooker, defensive end Justin Houston and cornerback TJ Carrie have not gained interest from the Colts and chose to visit other NFL squads in the hope of better contracts. 

Letting Houston go is a smart decision, as the former Pro Bowler was making $12 million per year at the age of 32. Letting Hooker walk, however, will have a substantial effect on the secondary.

Although he has been through his share of injuries, Hooker was the 15th overall draft pick by the Colts in 2017 and has shown his potential when available. He was a playmaker in his 27 starts from 2018-2019 and will be a big loss for a defense that needs proven players. 

The Colts’ biggest offseason loss comes in the retirement of tackle Anthony Castonzo. Offensive tackle is the biggest team need now with many more holes left over. At this stage, there are only two worthy tackles remaining in free agency, Alejandro Villanueva and Eric Fisher. Both would be game-changing signings to keep the offensive line strong.

There are holes throughout the entire defense, especially on the defensive line, while the offense lacks a true tight end to pair well with Wentz – who has consistently targeted the position throughout his career.

With only six draft selections, the Colts have put themselves in a scary situation where they will most likely head into the year young, inexperienced and lacking depth.