A full NFL 1st Round Mock Draft with quarterbacks, offensive talent flying off board early

spnsc042121.jpg

The NFL Draft is an event that can change both young players’ lives and also an organization's future. This year, the draft will bring back players and fans to an in-person event from Cleveland’s biggest venues including FirstEnergy Stadium, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the Great Lakes Science Center. 

With generational talent at nearly every offensive position, this draft is set to be a historic year for fans and organizations. The first round of the draft will begin April 29 and is headed by five quarterbacks hoping to be the savior of a franchise. The following is my 2021 NFL Mock Draft for the first round.

San Francisco 49ers Trey Lance (third overall)

The 49ers didn’t trade up for any position other than quarterback. Assuming Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson are gone, the decision comes down to Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Mac Jones. Trey Lance is a risky pick coming out of the Football Championship Subdivision, but has incredible ability and size. Head coach Kyle Shanahan would do wonders with a talent like Lance leading his offense in an attempt to make it back to the Super Bowl.

Cincinnati Bengals Ja’Marr Chase (fifth overall)

One of the biggest debates of the draft is whether the Bengals should draft Penei Sewell or Ja’Marr Chase. Cincinnati added offensive line support through free agency and is now most likely to select Joe Burrow’s former LSU teammate to add a premium playmaker. Chase dominated NFL-ready cornerbacks as a sophomore in college to help lead his team to an undefeated season. The LSU star is the best wide receiver prospect since Julio Jones and could provide the Bengals with a long-term star. 

Los Angeles Chargers Penei Sewell (eighth overall)

Justin Herbert was one of the most pressured NFL quarterbacks last season. The Chargers have playmakers all over the field but need to protect their young franchise quarterback. To do this, I have Los Angeles trading up to draft the best offensive tackle prospect in recent history. Herbert’s old Oregon teammate would provide immense value at the eighth pick and is well worth trading up for. 

Chicago Bears Justin Fields (ninth overall)

After losing out on Russell Wilson this offseason, Chicago settled for Andy Dalton to be its 2021 starting quarterback. Dalton is by no means the long-term answer to the Bears’ hopes of returning to the playoffs. To plan for the future, I have the Bears trading into the top 10 to draft  Justin Fields, a proven winner in his two seasons at Ohio State, and talented quarterback. Pro Football Focus has Fields graded as the No. 1 quarterback on throws past the first read since 2019, along with leading the NCAA in average depth of throw with 11.6 yards per pass attempt.

Indianapolis Colts Alijah Vera-Tucker (21st overall)

The loss of offensive tackle Anthony Castonzo results in a major hole in Indy. With no major free agency moves on the offensive line, Alijah Vera-Tucker could be the man to step in from day one to protect newly acquired quarterback Carson Wentz. The Eagles allowed consistent pressure on Wentz, the main reason for his downfall in Philly. To prevent the trade from becoming a bust, the Colts will need to boost their offensive line to allow Wentz the time to make plays down the field. Vera-Tucker would allow Quenton Nelson to move to the left tackle position as Vera-Tucker replaces him at guard.

Tennessee Titans Rashod Bateman (22nd overall)

It’s no secret the Titans’ offense runs through running back Derrick Henry. However, wide receiver Corey Davis and A.J. Brown took the team to another level last season. After losing Davis to the Jets in free agency, Tennessee has the opportunity to replace him with a similar talent in Rashod Bateman. The Minnesota wideout dominated in 2019 but opted out in the middle of a struggling 2020 season. Even with a down year, Bateman is a clear top-five receiver in a stacked class of talent at the position.

Baltimore Ravens Terrace Marshall Jr. (27th overall)

After playing alongside Justin Jefferson and Chase in 2019, Marshall became the No. 1 receiver at LSU in 2020. The Ravens are in desperate need of another receiver alongside Marquise Brown, and Marshall would be the perfect complement. At 6 feet, 3 inches and 200 pounds, Marshall would provide quarterback Lamar Jackson with a true No. 1 receiver to help a passing attack ranked dead last in the NFL last season.