Black Voices

Black Voices: Let’s end women’s history month by remembering important women in history

bvillofinal040121-jpg

Marsha P. Johnson was an activist and public speaker who fought for LGBTQ+ rights and provided shelter for homeless people in the LGBTQ+ community. In 1970, Johnson founded Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries or STAR a gay, non-gender conforming and transgender street activism organization.

Audre Lorde was an author, activist and educator who fought for equality for the LGBTQ+ community. The openly out and proud lesbian and known womanist helped shed light and spread awareness about intersectionality and the identities of race sex and class in the 70s and 80s. She is also known for many books such as “Sister Outsider”, and many collected essays, poems and speeches.

Dorothy Pitman Hughes was an activist, feminist, author and child welfare advocate. In 1971 she founded a welfare center for children called the West 80th Community Childcare Center in West New York City where she eventually met Gloria Steinman. In this time she co-founded founded Ms. Magazine and Women’s Action Alliance with Steinman. She also founded New York City Agency for Child Development and organized the first battered women’s shelter in New York.

Flo Kennedy was a known activist in the women’s liberation movement. She was a lawyer, activist, feminist, openly out lesbian and lecturer.  In 1968, Kennedy, with Gloria Steinman, helped organize the Miss America Protest in 1968. She founded the Feminist Party and helped founded the National Women’s Political Caucus and the National Black Feminist Organization.

Shirley Chisholm was an author, politician, educator and the first Black woman elected to Congress. From 1969 to 1983, she represented the state of New York.. Chisholm was the first Black person to be nominated for a major party and first woman to run for the Democratic Party when she ran for president in 1972