student life student govt

IUSG Supreme Court will not hear Inspire’s appeals of dismissed complaints against Elevate, Legacy

news filler.jpg

The IU Student Government Supreme Court will not hear any of the 10 petitions Inspire filed to appeal the IUSG Election Commission’s dismissal of complaints against Elevate and Legacy, Chief Justice Brennan Murphy said in an email Tuesday night.

Inspire filed 18 total complaints to the commission April 5, with 10 against Elevate and eight against Legacy. 

The IUSG Election Commission ruled April 6 to accept one of the 10 complaints Inspire submitted against Elevate and two of the eight complaints Inspire submitted against Legacy. Inspire appealed six of the dismissed complaints against Elevate and four of the dismissed complaints against Legacy to the IUSG Supreme Court on Thursday. 

Inspire failed to submit six of the petitions within 48 hours of the IUSG Election Commission’s announcement of dismissal, the court said in its official denial of certiorari. 

According to the court, the IUSG Election Commission announced its dismissal of 15 complaints at 9:17 p.m. April 6. In its official denial, the court said Inspire submitted six of its petitions to the court between 9:17 and 9:41 p.m. April 8, leading the court to dismiss these petitions. 

The remaining four petitions did not receive support from two-fifths of the IUSG Supreme Court, according to the official denial. At least two-fifths of the court must support a petition in order to grant a hearing, according to the court’s denial statement.