sports golf

IU women’s golf finishes in 15th place at Hoosier Invitational on Sunday

spiuwgrecap041821.jpg

IU women’s golf finished the two-day Hoosier Invitational in 15th place out of the 16 competing teams Sunday at the Pfau Course in Bloomington. This tournament was the last of the regular season for the Hoosiers. 

The Hoosiers played their first competitive event at their home course since it opened in June 2020. Kent State won the tournament, they were the only team to finish under par for the tournament. The next closest team was Maryland, which finished ten strokes behind Kent State. 

The Pfau Course proved to be difficult for all 16 teams, yet three Hoosiers were still able to shoot all three rounds in the 70s. Sophomore Valerie Clancy led the way for IU as she posted a total of 226 strokes en route to a 10-over-par weekend. 

One stroke behind Clancy was senior Mary Parsons, who had returned in this tournament from an injury that forced her to withdraw at the Indiana Spring Challenge played April 4-5. Parsons shot a team-low 71 in her third round Saturday, finishing with an 11-over par weekend. 

“Round two was tough because it was a really long day,”  head coach Clint Wallman said after the event. “Our last group barely made it in for 36 holes.”

The slowness of the second round showed in the Hoosiers’ play, IU had the same score across both of the first rounds. IU shot its best team score Sunday, improving by 11 strokes. 

“Our message to the team is that this is a really good prep,” Wallman said. “The entire spring season you are preparing yourself for the Big Ten Championship.”

IU will head into the Big Ten Championship on April 23-25 at Tournament Players Club’s River Bend in Maineville, Ohio.