Yasir Rosemond fills IU men’s basketball’s final assistant coach spot

spiubbrosemond041421.jpg

IU men’s basketball filled its final assistant coach vacancy Wednesday afternoon, hiring Yasir Rosemond.

Rosemond most recently was an assistant coach at the University of Alabama from 2017-2019. Before his short stint with the Crimson Tide, Rosemond spent three seasons at the University of Georgia from 2014-17.

“I’m excited to finalize our coaching staff with the addition of Yasir,” Woodson said in a statement Wednesday. “He brings a great deal of experience at schools like Alabama, Georgia and Oregon and has been a big contributor to their success and worked with and recruited a number of young men who were able to develop and take their game to the next level.”

Rosemond played two years at the University of Oregon after beginning his collegiate career at top-ranked Okaloosa-Walton Junior College in Florida.

Following a four-year professional career in Brazil, Rosemond began his coaching career as an assistant at Redlands Community College in El Reno, Oklahoma, where he helped the team to the NJCAA championship game in 2004.

Rosemond would return to his alma mater in 2005, serving as the director of basketball operations for two seasons before being promoted to assistant coach. 

While at Oregon, he helped assemble a top 25 recruiting class in 2008 and coached All-American Dillon Brooks. Rosemond has also been credited with being influential in Tajuan Porter’s collegiate career with the Ducks, who holds both the PAC-12 conference records for 3-pointers in a season and in a career.

IU also announced that Benny Sanders has been promoted to director of basketball operations, Brian Walsh will be the new team and recruitment coordinator and former-assistant coach Mike Roberts will be assistant athletic director for basketball administration under Thad Matta. 

“These men all will play valuable roles in the success of the program and the more I have gotten to know them it becomes more evident that they have great passion for our young men and I can’t wait to continue to work with them on a daily basis,” Woodson said.